Before your home search begins, your Morristown real estate agent will want to know as much as possible about the features and amenities you desire. To help your agent better serve you, developing a home buyer wish list is a great way to analyze what you want and what you need in a home’s features and amenities.
I always recommend to my buyers that they create a list of 5 must-haves and 5 nice-to-haves. A list might look something like this:
- 3+ Bedrooms
- 2+ Bathrooms
- 1 Car Garage (can be detached)
- Recently Updated Kitchen
- Must have Gas, Sewer and Public Water
Nice To haves:
- 2 Car Garage (can be detached)
- 4 Bdrms / In-Law suite (or main floor area that can be used as such)
- Working Fire Place
- 2.5 Bth
- Fenced Yard
By developing a list, you can really hone in on the type of home that you want. Whenever I set up appointments to show clients homes, I provide the wish list along with the list of homes they will be seeing. This way they know the homes they are seeing meet all the “must haves” and when possible some of the “nice to haves” as well. The list also provides a framework to work from. Often I have clients that change their priorities after they get a chance to tour properties.
Consider the following amenities and begin with these questions to help define your ideal home, and develop your Home Buyer Wish List:
- Type: What type of home do you want? Single-Family Home, Condo, Townhouse, Multi-family home, etc.
- Age: Do you prefer historic properties, or newer ones?
- Style: Do you have a special preference for ranches, bungalows, or another style of construction?
- Bedrooms: How many?
- Bathrooms: How many? Are they updated?
- Living and Dining Areas: A traditional, formal layout, or a more open, contemporary plan?
- Stories: How many?
- Square feet: How much space?
- Ceilings: How high?
- Kitchen: How big? Recently updated? Open to other living areas?
- Storage: Big closets, a shed, an extra-large garage?
- Parking: A garage or carport? Room for how many cars?
- Extras: Attic or basement?
Amenities to consider:
- Play/exercise room
- Security system
- Sprinkler system
- In-law suite
- Hardwood Floors
- Hot tub
- Man Cave
- Wooded lot
- Patio, deck, or porch
- Laundry room
Morristown NJ Real Estate-Morris Township Real Estate-Madison NJ Real Estate-Morris Plains Real Estate-Denville Real Estate-Chatham Real Estate-Randolph Real Estate-Parsippany Real Estate-Montville Real Estate