People always ask me why I live in Morristown NJ and each time I find myself giving a different explanation, which made me realize that there were a lot of reasons why my wife and I moved here six years ago. With that in mind, I decided to make a list of what I think are the TOP 10 reasons to live in Morristown. Let me know if I missed any…
- LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION: It is the age old adage that has been beaten into our minds and for good reason. “Why three times?” you ask. Because it’s that important, never underestimate how much location matters. When you live in Morristown, you are pretty much dead center of the northern section of the state. The location is ideal for commuters with the Morristown train as well as the Convent Station and Morris Plains stations just a couple miles from the Morristwon Green. For those going by car, I287, I80, and Route 24 & 202 will get you going quickly in any direction in the state.
- It’s Appetizing: There are more than 100 restaurants in Morristown ranging from finger food at Raul’s Empanadas to fine dining at the Grand Café. The diversity of cuisine could even impress Anthony Bourdain. From the staples like steak joints like Sebastian’s, Roots and J and K Steakhouse, Italian dining with La Campagna, Guerriero’s, and Portofino’s to the more exotic faire like Afghani, Korean, Indian, Thai, Japanese, Chinese… Name another Afghani restaurant in New Jersey… I dare you!
- Drink up the Nightlife: Perhaps it all started when General George Washington decided to make his headquarters at Jacob Arnold’s Tavern on the Morristown Green and since then Morristown NJ has had a thriving nightlife. South Street and the Green are lined with great bars in Morristown NJ like the Grasshopper, Famished Frog, Sona 13, The Office, Urban Table, Roots, David Todd’s City Tavern and Tashmoo. Places like Pazzo Pazzo and the Qube Loungeoffer great outdoor venues to grab a drink. SM23 inside Headquarters Plaza, just next to the Hyatt is another great bar/lounge worth grabbing a drink or four at. New bars keep coming like the forthcoming UPtown Morristown
- Healthcare at its Best: Morristown Medical Center in Morristown NJ is one of the best, if not the best hospitals in the state. In April, Castle Connolly, a leading healthcare research company, named the hospital the No. 1 hospital in the state and No. 1 in coronary surgery, treatment of heart surgery and high risk pregnancy. Having had my daughter born there, I can say the maternity ward and care was incredible. It feels more like a hotel than a hospital and offers all the free coffee an anxious father could ever need.
- Remember When? Morristown is known as the “military capital of the American Revolution.” The history of the revolution still remains a focal point for Morristown NJ with historical landmarks, walk tours, and historic destinations such as Washington’s Headquarters, Jockey Hollow, and Fort Nonsense. Additionally, Speedwell Park and Fosterfields Living Historical Farm offer visitors the experience of what it was like to live in the past.
- Outdoors: In addition to the great historical parks, the Morristown NJ outdoor activities offers great BBQ areas, playgrounds for the kids, mountain biking, golfing, ice skating/hockey, areas for horseback riding, ball fields, paddle boats and even a beach. A list of all the great parks and amenities is available here.
- It’s the Economy, Stupid: A lot of people move to Morristown NJ because it is a great commuter town, you know what is better than commuting to work? Walking to work. Morristown has many banking/finance jobs, large presence of legal professions, it also has opportunities for tons of other professions like healthcare, marketing, tourism and more.
- Shopping in Morristown: One of the greatest things about Morristown is that it remains a town, which has escaped the whirlwind that has swept up many towns in a storm of strip malls and big box stores. The Morristown Partnership does a great job touting the shops around Morristown NJ that includes everything from bridal stores, bakeries, a bike shop, barbers, bagels and that’s just the B’s, you get the idea…
- County Seat: Morristown NJ is the Morris County seat, which makes it a hub for justice and government. Morristown is buzzing during the day with justice in action, court in session and judges, attorneys and jurors filling restaurants during lunchtime. If you throw a ball blindly from the Morristown Green, there is a pretty darn good chance you will hit a lawyer.
- Your pick… Everyone has their own reason to live in Morristown, what’s yours?
Morristown NJ Real Estate–Morris Township Real Estate–Madison NJ Real Estate–Morris Plains Real Estate–Denville Real Estate–Chatham Real Estate–Randolph Real Estate–Parsippany Real Estate–Montville Real Estate